Monday, September 22, 2008

Lessons Learned

Some lessons parents teach will always stay with their children. I can remember growing up that my parents taught me the lesson of winning and losing with grace. As with most children, the thrill of winning a game gives them great joy. However, when they lose it can be quite an ugly scene. One personal example was when I lost a card game playing against my Aunt Susie. I hated losing so much that I slapped her in the face! I was about 7 years old but that certainly was no excuse and my whooping was the proof. Another lesson I learned was following through in your commitments; don’t be a quitter. As an active child I was involved in several sports from football, basketball, t-ball to even bowling. Before the start of each season my parents reminded me of the commitments involved and if I started something I needed to finish it. They understood the value of perseverance and the satisfaction of a task completed. Indeed, this has been a tremendous value to me through the years of college, young adulthood and in my family life.

As we start another Fall and year of student ministries I pray that we follow my latter lesson, don’t be a quitter. Think about it. As parents and adult leaders we set the example to our children. When we start ministries we need to be tenacious. Yes that’s an odd word but consider its meaning. According to Webster, tenacious means “not easily pulled apart; persistent in seeking something valued or desired.” Too often we can be tempted to give up and pull away right before we reap the benefits. In the face of difficulty or challenge we quit and abandon everyone else. Not only is this a selfish attitude but it denies the group and team (the body of Christ) the opportunity to support one another and grow from struggles. Besides, when did the road to God’s blessings become paved with ease and comfort?

So, to all the new Sunday School teachers, Awana workers, every other ministry leader as well as to every family member, don’t be a quitter! We need to model tenacity to our children and to those in our community who are wondering if the gospel really matters. Trust me, perseverance pays off and will leave a lasting impression on the generations to come.

“Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9


Some of the idea for this post was adapted from http://www.childrensministry.com/article.asp?ID=1940

No comments: