Monday, June 2, 2008

She eats what I eat

I love eating. I’m not sure if it’s because of my religious denominational traditions of church pot-lucks, indulging of my cravings or simply my need to survive but eating food is a wonderful thing to me, especially dessert. And guess what, I’m attempting to pass this habit of eating on to my daughter. On Saturday I had the opportunity to spend the whole day with her without mom. Danielle was on a retreat for MOPS ministry at our church. This meant I was solely responsible for diapers, naps, clean ups, bottles and food, and probably a few other things that I can’t all remember. Anyways, we had a couple instances that I later learned a spiritual lesson. Allow me to share…

The first came at lunch time. She was having some apricot mix from Gerber while I was having a chicken & cheese quesadilla. Halfway thru her baby food she stopped eating. You know, the closed mouth turning head, no way sucka, not now Daddy kinda stop eating. The thing is, she kept reaching for MY quesadilla. So, the tender heart that I am gave her a few bites with my utensil. Then I dipped my utensil into her baby food and fed her and she ate. I think she thought I was still feeding her MY food.

The next came when I was eating a little dessert. Okay, so maybe it was more than a little but it was hot brownies and chocolate chip ice cream. Anyways, as soon as I came in with the bowl here come the little hands reaching up and tongue & mouth tapping away. So, the tender hearted Daddy that I am, I give her a few bites. She loves it of course. She eats what I eat. It really doesn’t matter what I’m eating she just wants it because Daddy has it. She wants to be like Daddy. And that’s where it hit me, children not only follow their parents physical actions but also spiritually as well.

Children learn how to pray by seeing and praying with their parents and other adults. The same is true with attending a local church, Bible reading, living and loving others like Jesus, sharing the gospel, and giving financially to God. They’re like wet cement; whatever falls on them makes an impression. So, we as parents and adults must be intentional about what we are feeding our children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very true

Anonymous said...

LOL! I remember those days. The funny thing is that Sam used to eat everything we ate, but now he tends to eat healthier than the rest us more often then not and it's his choice -- go figure.
I think it's time the rest of us start watching Sam, maybe we'd be healthier. And yes, our children, all children, are watching and listening to everything we do and say. If that's not a wake up call, I don't know what is. So, let your LIGHT, the Lord Jesus Christ, shine so that all may see!

Anonymous said...

Good post.