Thursday, April 3, 2008

Revelation's End

Here is our last lesson on Revelation. I hope you have learned as much as I have. As I said last week, I am growing to fear God more and more because of how incredibly powerful and sovereign He is... but my fear does not distance me from God, it drives me closer to Him. I know that in Him there is protection, love and acceptance. What ultimate reality!

Hell is real, avoid it.
The book of Revelation comes to a close when Jesus returns to earth. At His return, Jesus will conquer those who wage war against Him (Armageddon). At this time there will be a great white throne judgment where the books will be opened and the dead are judged according to their deeds. Files will be read! “Anyone’s name [that] was not found written in the book of life, was thrown into the lake of fire.”




Hell is a real place that is described as eternal darkness (Matthew 25:30). It is filled with unquenchable fire (Matt 25:41) and punishment (Matt 25:46). The torment never rests day or night (Rev 20:10). There are some who believe that unbelievers do not experience such atrocity but they cease to exist; annihilationism. This view seems contradictory to the rest of Scripture, nevertheless the point is to avoid Hell and judgment at all costs.

Paul says Romans 9:2-3 “I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers”

God says Ezekiel 33:11 “As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, O house of Israel?”

Heaven is real, accept Him.
As much as Hell is a reality for unbelievers so is Heaven a reality for believers. Revelation 20 speaks of a Millennial kingdom that will take place on earth for 1000 years. Jesus will reign with believers having areas of responsibility under Him. After that, Satan is forever defeated and eternity begins. John says a new heaven and a new earth will be created. Our imaginations cannot begin to understand how beautiful these places will be. As it is written, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him – but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit” (1 Corinthians 2:9-10). Heaven is a gift that only a Person can offer, that is Jesus Christ. You must accept Him before you can enter.


·Does knowing the prophecy about future end time events give you confidence or concern? Explain.
·Have you ever thought that there will be a final judgment for all people? Do you look forward or fear this time?
John 5:24 “I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”
·What does it mean to store up treasures in heaven? How should this effect the way you live your life?
·When you hear about the realities of Hell, what comes to your mind?
·Read Romans 9:2-3 and Ezekiel 33:11. How do these verses impact your life?
·List some of the major things you have learned through our study in Revelation. How have these things impacted you?

No comments: