Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dashboard of Life

As you know, every car has dashboard gauges that tell your vital signs – speed, gas, mileage, temperature and even oil pressure. These gauges inform and warn. They inform of how you are progressing during your journey. They also warn of problems that occur during the journey. You can do one of two things with your dashboard – 1) You can pull out a hammer and smash your dashboard, essentially ignoring its vital signs. OR 2) You can choose to evaluate your dashboard and respond appropriately.
My desire is to allow God's Spirit, His Word, and His people be as a dashboard in my life. Here are some things that are on my dashboard:
God Time: My personal devotion time with God is a reflection of who I am and what I do. I must realize God is not a crutch/cane to support my life and ministry but is a complete stretcher in which I am laid out and completely dependent on him. Currently I am reading through 1 & 2 Samuel in my personal devotions. I am studying how God calls and uses leaders. I believe the most important character of a leader is integrity. Certainly this can be seen in the life of king David, though even he was not perfect.
John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
Family Time: My family is important to me, but this is not always shown in the time I devote to them (both quantity & quality). I must realize God has given me a gift in which I must be a good steward of (as son, husband, father). My personal goal is to be home at least three nights a week.
1 Timothy 5:8 “If anyone does not care for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.”
Fellowship Time: Many pastors say the find it difficult to have close friendships. I can somewhat understand their dilemma yet understand Jesus calls us to close community. I am blessed to be slowly developing close friendships in my ministry as well as with those God has placed around me. I am praying that my friendships are Christ-centered in the sense that our conversations & actions toward each other are reflections of his grace as we become more like him.
Proverbs 17:7a “A friend loves at all times…”
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

No comments: